Corsock

Category: Corsock
Published on Monday, 25 February 2013 17:34
Written by Maggi Kaye
Hits: 6354

Corsock

Corsock can be found about 9 miles from Balmaclellan on the A712, going toward Dumfries. Most of the houses lie along the road and there is a church, garage, town hall, pub, school and general store. Near the bridge on outskirts of the village there is on an 18th century Temperance (Coaching) Inn. A number of quiet back roads come into the village, which makes it a good place to cycle or walk from as several of them link to other roads to form a circular route.

Corsock Woodland Garden, was laid out by General Douglas McEwan and his daughter in the 1920s and 1930s. They are well known for a collection of Rhododendrons, many of which were collected by George Forrest a well known botanist

James Clerk Maxwell grew up near Corsock at Glenlair, which at that time it was in the parish of Parton as Corsock had no church at that time. He lived there until his death in 1879. In 1929 the house was severely damaged by fire; what was the servants quarters and the gardeners cottage are still intact, but the ruin of the house itself needs attention to stabilise it. See  http://www.glenlair.org.uk 

In 1911 an hoard of silver coins was unearthed near Corsock, it is thought they were buried in about 1320; around this time a number of other coin hoards of similar numbers and coinage appear to have been hidden in the area (see Carsphairn).